Aircraft Redesignations in 1962
Copyright © 2000-2007 Andreas Parsch
As is well known, the DOD unified all military aircraft designations in 1962 under a common designation system, based on the USAF's. For a detailed description of the post-1962 system, see article on Current Designations Of U.S. Military Aircraft, and for information about the older pre-1962 systems you may refer to Wikipedia.
This article is intended to provide a definitive listing of all redesignations. It is based on the following two official documents:
|AFR 66-11, AR 700-26, BUWEPSINST 13100.7 "Designating, Redesignating, and Naming of Military Aircraft" (18 September 1962)
|"Model Designation of Military Aircraft" (15 February 1963)
 defines the new designation system, includes a compact list of all designations (incl. the old designations), and says that a complete listing of all current designations is to be published at regular intervals.  is the first such listing, and contains essentially the same designations, with a few additions and deletions.
1. The following listing shows all redesignations defined in  or . A  in the first column indicates, that the designation was removed from the list in , while a  means, that the redesignation was missing in  (presumably due to an oversight). The few new designations assigned between the publishing of  and  fall outside the scope of the redesignation listing.
2.  contains some designations of Navy aircraft with a "Y" (for prototype) prefix. The corresponding old Navy designations are always written with the uncommon "Y/" prefix (note the slash!). Most of these Navy "Y" designations were removed in  anyway.
3. Of course, relatively few USAF aircaft were effected by the redesignations. Most redesignations of USAF aircraft fall into 3 categories:
- Addition of a mission symbol for helicopters: The USAF system allowed helicopter designations without a mission symbol (e.g. H-19B). This is not allowed in the new joint designation system (requiring UH-19B).
- Addition of a model letter suffix: The USAF system allowed designations without model suffix for experimental and prototype aircraft (e.g. XB-70, X-15). This is not allowed in the new joint designation system (requiring XB-70A, X-15A).
- Change of a few prefix letters (e.g. A to E, S to H).
4. The entry "Navy" in the Service column of the table also includes Marine Corps aircraft.
New Designation Old Designation Service  A-1D AD-4NA Navy  EA-1D AD-5E Navy A-1E AD-5 Navy EA-1E AD-5W Navy  UA-1E AD-5 (Tow) Navy EA-1F AD-5Q Navy A-1G AD-5N Navy A-1H AD-6 Navy A-1J AD-7 Navy A-2A AJ-1 Navy  YA-3A Y/A3D-1 Navy A-3A A3D-1 Navy  YEA-3A Y/A3D-1Q Navy EA-3A A3D-1Q Navy  YRA-3A Y/A3D-1P Navy  RA-3A A3D-1P Navy A-3B A3D-2 Navy EA-3B A3D-2Q Navy  YRA-3B Y/A3D-2P Navy RA-3B A3D-2P Navy TA-3B A3D-2T Navy  YA-4A Y/A4D-1 Navy A-4A A4D-1 Navy  YA-4B Y/A4D-2 Navy A-4B A4D-2 Navy  YA-4C Y/A4D-2N Navy A-4C A4D-2N Navy A-4E A4D-5 (note 1) Navy  YA-5A Y/A3J-1 Navy A-5A A3J-1 Navy A-5B A3J-2 Navy A-5C A3J-3 (note 2) Navy A-6A A2F-1 Navy EA-6A A2F-1H Navy UB-26J JD-1 Navy DB-26J JD-1D Navy EB-47E E-47E (note 3) Air Force RB-47E R-47E (note 3) Air Force RB-47H R-47H (note 3) Air Force EB-47H ER-47H (note 3) Air Force RB-47K R-47K (note 3) Air Force XB-70A XB-70 Air Force RC-45J SNB-5P Navy TC-45J SNB-5 Navy HC-47A SC-47A Air Force EC-47D AC-47D Air Force HC-47D SC-47D Air Force C-47H R4D-5 Navy EC-47H R4D-5Q Navy LC-47H R4D-5L Navy SC-47H R4D-5S Navy TC-47H R4D-5T Navy VC-47H R4D-5Z Navy C-47J R4D-6 Navy EC-47J R4D-6Q Navy LC-47J R4D-6L Navy SC-47J R4D-6S Navy TC-47J R4D-6T Navy VC-47J R4D-6Z Navy TC-47K R4D-7 Navy EC-54D AC-54D Air Force HC-54D SC-54D Air Force VC-54N R5D-1Z Navy C-54P R5D-2 Navy VC-54P R5D-2Z Navy C-54Q R5D-3 Navy VC-54Q R5D-3Z Navy C-54R R5D-4R Navy C-54S R5D-5 Navy VC-54S R5D-5Z Navy C-54T R5D-5R Navy EC-54U R5D-4 Coast Guard RC-54V R5D-3 Coast Guard C-117D R4D-8 Navy LC-117D R4D-8L Navy TC-117D R4D-8T Navy VC-117D R4D-8Z Navy C-118B R6D-1 Navy VC-118B R6D-1Z Navy C-119F R4Q-2 Navy C-119J MC-119 Air Force C-121J R7V-1 Navy EC-121K WV-2 Navy YEC-121K Y/WV-2 Navy EC-121L WV-2E Navy EC-121M WV-2Q Navy WC-121N WV-3 Navy DC-130A GC-130A Air Force HC-130B SC-130B Air Force HC-130E SC-130E Air Force C-130F GV-1U Navy KC-130F GV-1 Navy LC-130F C-130BL Navy  HC-130G SC-130B Coast Guard C-131F R4Y-1 Navy C-131G R4Y-2 Navy C-140C UV-1 Navy C-1A TF-1 Navy EC-1A TF-1Q Navy C-2A (none) (note 4) Navy  VC-3A RM-1Z Coast Guard E-1B WF-2 Navy E-2A W2F-1 Navy F-111A TFX (note 4) Air Force F-111B TFX (note 4) Navy F-1C FJ-3 Navy DF-1C FJ-3D Navy MF-1C FJ-3M Navy DF-1D FJ-3D2 Navy  YF-1E Y/FJ-4 Navy F-1E FJ-4 Navy  YAF-1E Y/FJ-4B Navy AF-1E FJ-4B Navy F-2C F2H-3 Navy F-2D F2H-4 Navy  YF-3B Y/F3H-2 Navy F-3B F3H-2 Navy MF-3B F3H-2M Navy F-3C F3H-2N Navy F-4A F4H-1F Navy F-4B F4H-1 Navy RF-4B F4H-1P Navy F-4C F-110A Air Force RF-4C RF-110A Air Force F-5A N-156 (note 4) Air Force F-5B N-156 (note 4) Air Force  YF-6A Y/F4D-1 Navy F-6A F4D-1 Navy  YF-7A Y/F2Y-1 (note 5) Navy  YF-8A Y/F8U-1 Navy F-8A F8U-1 Navy DF-8A F8U-1D Navy QF-8A F8U-1KD Navy  YRF-8A Y/F8U-1P Navy RF-8A F8U-1P Navy TF-8A F8U-1T Navy F-8B F8U-1E Navy  YF-8C Y/F8U-2 Navy F-8C F8U-2 Navy  YF-8D Y/F8U-2N Navy F-8D F8U-2N Navy  YF-8E Y/F8U-2NE Navy F-8E F8U-2NE Navy DF-9E F9F-5KD Navy F-9F F9F-6 Navy DF-9F F9F-6D Navy QF-9F F9F-6K Navy QF-9G F9F-6K2 Navy F-9H F9F-7 Navy F-9J F9F-8 Navy  YAF-9J Y/F9F-8B Navy AF-9J F9F-8B Navy RF-9J F9F-8P Navy  YTF-9J Y/F9F-8T Navy TF-9J F9F-8T Navy F-10A F3D-1 Navy F-10B F3D-2 Navy EF-10B F3D-2Q Navy MF-10B F3D-2M Navy TF-10B F3D-2T2 Navy  YF-11A Y/F11F-1 Navy F-11A F11F-1 Navy  F-11B F11F-1F (note 6) Navy UH-1 HU-1 (note 7) Army UH-1A HU-1A Army  YUH-1B XH-40A Air Force UH-1B HU-1B Army UH-1D HU-1D Army UH-1E HU-1E Navy UH-2A HU2K-1 Navy UH-2B HU2K-1U Navy  YSH-3A Y/HSS-2 Navy SH-3A HSS-2 Navy VH-3A HSS-2Z Navy OH-4A HO-4 Army OH-5A HO-5 Army OH-6A HO-6 Army OH-13E H-13E Army OH-13G H-13G Army OH-13H H-13H Army UH-13H H-13H Air Force UH-13J H-13J Air Force OH-13K H-13K Navy TH-13L HTL-4 Navy TH-13M HTL-6 Navy TH-13N HTL-7 Navy UH-13P HUL-1 Navy HH-13Q HUL-1G Coast Guard UH-13R HUL-1M Navy  HH-19A SH-19A Air Force  UH-19A H-19A Air Force HH-19B SH-19B Air Force UH-19B H-19B Air Force UH-19C H-19C Army UH-19D H-19D Army CH-19E HRS-3 Navy UH-19F HO4S-3 Navy HH-19G HO4S-3G Coast Guard CH-21A H-21A Air Force CH-21B H-21B Air Force/Army HH-21B SH-21B Air Force CH-21C H-21C Army OH-23B H-23B Army OH-23C H-23C Army OH-23D H-23D Army OH-23F H-23F Army UH-25B HUP-2 Navy UH-25C HUP-3 Navy CH-34A H-34A Army CH-34C H-34C Army LH-34D HUS-1L Navy UH-34D HUS-1 Navy VH-34D HUS-1Z Navy UH-34E HUS-1A Navy HH-34F HUS-1G Coast Guard  YSH-34G Y/HSS-1 Navy SH-34G HSS-1 Navy SH-34H HSS-1F Navy  YSH-34J Y/HSS-1N Navy SH-34J HSS-1N Navy CH-37A H-37A Army CH-37B H-37B Army CH-37C HR2S-1 Navy NH-41A YH-41 Army UH-41A H-41 Air Force HH-43A H-43A Air Force HH-43B H-43B Air Force UH-43C HUK-1 Navy OH-43D HOK-1 Navy  TH-43E HTK-1 Navy CH-46A HRB-1 Navy XCH-46B HX/H-2 (note 4, note 8)Air Force CH-46C HC-1A Army CH-47A HC-1B Army XH-48A HX/H-1 (note 4) Air Force QH-50A DSN-1 Navy QH-50B DSN-2 Navy QH-50C DSN-3 Navy XH-51A (none) Navy O-1A L-19A Army O-1B OE-1 Navy O-1C OE-2 Navy TO-1D TL-19D Army O-1E L-19E Army (note 9) P-2D P2V-4 Navy P-2E P2V-5F Navy DP-2E P2V-5FD Navy EP-2E P2V-5FE Navy SP-2E P2V-5FS Navy P-2F P2V-6 Navy MP-2F P2V-6M Navy TP-2F P2V-6T Navy P-2G P2V-6F Navy  YP-2H Y/P2V-7 Navy P-2H P2V-7 Navy SP-2H P2V-7S Navy LP-2J P2V-7LP Navy YP-3A Y/P3V-1 Navy P-3A P3V-1 Navy QP-4B P4Y-2K Navy P-5A P5M-1 Navy SP-5A P5M-1S Navy TP-5A P5M-1T Navy P-5B P5M-2 Navy SP-5B P5M-2S Navy (note 10) (note 11)  YS-2A Y/S2F-1 Navy S-2A S2F-1 Navy TS-2A S2F-1T Navy S-2B S2F-1S Navy S-2C S2F-2 Navy RS-2C S2F-2P Navy S-2D S2F-3 Navy S-2E S2F-3S Navy  S-2F S2F-1S1 Navy T-1A T2V-1 Navy  YT-2A Y/T2J-1 Navy T-2A T2J-1 Navy T-2B T2J-2 Navy DT-28B T-28BD Navy ET-29C AT-29C Air Force T-33B TV-2 Navy DT-33B TV-2D Navy DT-33C TV-2KD Navy  YT-34B Y/T-34B Navy T-39D T3J-1 Navy U-1B UC-1 Navy U-6A L-20A Air Force/Navy/Army U-7A L-21A Air Force U-8D L-23D Army RU-8D RL-23D Army U-8E L-23E Army U-8F L-23F Army U-9B L-26B Army U-9C L-26C Army RU-9D RL-26D Army U-10A L-28A Air Force U-11A UO-1 Navy (note 12) HU-16A SA-16A Air Force HU-16B SA-16B Air Force HU-16C UF-1 Navy LU-16C UF-1L Navy TU-16C UF-1T Navy HU-16D UF-2 Navy HU-16E UF-2G Coast Guard OV-1A AO-1A Army OV-1B AO-1B Army OV-1C AO-1C Army  CV-2A AC-1 Army CV-2B AC-1A Army XV-3A (none) (note 13) Army XV-4A VZ-10 Army XV-5A VZ-11 Army XV-6A VZ-12 Army CV-7A AC-2 Army X-13A X-13 Air Force X-15A X-15 Air Force X-20A X-20 Air Force X-21A X-21 Air Force EZ-1B ZPG-2W Navy SZ-1B ZPG-2 Navy EZ-1C ZPG-3W Navy
1. A-4D was skipped. This was probably done to avoid confusion with the old A4D basic designation. In the F-4 series, the F-4H designation was also skipped later on. On the other hand, the F-9F was used in redesignations of the F9F series.
5. The F2Y Sea Dart was included in the redesignation process, because a single YF2Y-1 had not yet been formally stricken from the Navy's inventory by June 1962 (when the process of selecting the new designations for all existing aircraft had already been completed).
6. The question whether the F11F-1F Super Tiger was ever redesignated as F-11B or not has been answered differently by various authors. The sources  and  seem to indicate, that the Navy initially chose not to include it in the joint designation system, but later decided otherwise!
7. UH-1 is the only new designation listed in  or  without a model suffix letter. It seems that an exception was made to avoid having to "shift up" all the existing model suffixes A ... E to B ... F.
10. The P-6 designation, which is generally regarded as the post-1962 designation of the P6M SeaMaster, is missing in both sources. In fact, official DOD aircraft nomenclature records say that P-6 was skipped in 1962 at the request of the Navy (probably to avoid any confusion with the P6M). Source  explicitly says the next available design number in the P-series would be P-7A.
Comments and corrections to: Andreas Parsch
Back to Home page
Last Updated: 17 April 2007